Sunday, September 9, 2012

the cave

Today I am doing something different. I am just going to throw my words against the wall of this blog on the internet and see what sticks. Maybe I'll reach someone out there, maybe I won't. But it is a chance we take.

I was watching redefine with Tamara Lackey today. It is a show about redefining photography, etc. It's a good show that I found on the Adorama Learning Center. There are a lot of good shows on there and a lot of good info on photography. But I digress. Back to my point.

Tamara was interviewing Dane Sanders. Here is a link to the episode: http://www.adorama.com/alc/0013869/article/Dane-Sanders-Ep-204-reDefine-with-Tamara-Lackey-Adorama-Photography-TV . It's worth checking out. At one point they begin to talk about philosophy. It is an interest of mine, so when it came up my ears pricked up and I paid attention. They mention Plato's allegory of the cave. Anyone who has studied Plato has probably come across this. Tamara and Dane talk about the allegory and the shadows and how illusion is seen as reality. Then Tamara says something which struck a chord with-in my mind. I am paraphrasing a bit but basically she said 'that reality is happening behind you and if you would just turn around you can experience it, but only the insane people are the ones who do.'

This got me thinking. How many of us are still living in the cave? Have we deceived ourselves into thinking that we are free from it? What can you do to free yourself from the world of illusion and truly exist?

So I am laying down the gauntlet. I am putting forth a challenge. Today, do something to break the chains which bind you in Plato's cave and see the illusion for what it is. Turn around and face, experience, reality.

Let me know what you come up with. I am going to go outside with my camera and take some photos. I hope you are able to find something worthy to spend your fleeting time doing.

And, because this is a photography page:



No comments:

Post a Comment